A few thoughts on a fishing kit for emergencies...

Someone recently asked me about his recent purchase of an "emergency fishing kit" to go in a ditch bag...

Off hand, my first impression is that while less than it could be it is so much better than what you'll find included in your liferaft's inventory. That being the case, it is a quantum leap forward, so you could do a lot worse.

The current contents of our emergency fishing kit consist of a couple of Sabiki rigs, some lead head jigs, a bottom jig, an assortment of hooks (double and singles), two handlines (25# test, 100# test), a multitool, and a proper filleting knife.

Except for the filet knife, this all fits into a six-inch stuff sack or small tupperware box. To improve things, I have my eye on this folding filet knife to get the whole thing into one compact container...
I also try and keep my hand spear, mask, and fins within easy reach of the of the ditch bag...

Comments