For folks who tend to catch and eat reef fish you might be interested that cases of Ciguatera are up in the BVI and take precautions.
- Reduce consumption of coral reef fish, like barracuda, snapper, bass, perch and hind
- Avoid eating the head, skin, intestines and roe of coral reef fish, which usually have a higher concentration of toxins and is associated with greater symptom severity.
- When eating coral reef fish, avoid consuming alcohol, peanuts or beans as they may magnify the effect of the poison;
- Seek medical treatment immediately should symptoms of ciguatoxin fish poisoning appear
- Do not buy fish when the source is doubtful.
Personally, I pretty much give reef fish a pass in the Caribbean as it's just way too much like Russian roulette of the fishy sort.