A thought or two about my next rods...

I've seriously been considering a new fly rod or two and while there are no shortage of excellent rods out there, not a lot of them call out to me with come hither voices of silk. Part of that I think has to do with a certain lack of attitude... A rod for saltwater needs a little tude!

Way back when, I had an Ugly Stick Big Water Fly rod and it had some serious attitude... Well, it had to because it was really a pretty awful rod that had an action not unlike a Louisville Slugger or section of rebar. Though what it missed in casting ability it more than made up for in brute force and it could always do double duty for a pick up game of baseball, driving nails or beating someone senseless if the need arose.

While I had something of a love/hate relationship with that rod (well, yes to be honest, mostly hate) it did set something of a pattern of a dislike for rods that were more works of art than tools... A little art is a good thing but one should never lose touch with the fact that a fly rod is a tool.

A fellow sailor and killer of fish (when he is not catching and releasing of course) has been telling me about some new rods and reels with the rather interesting name Red Truck...

Now a name like Red Truck just cries out "I'm not a work of art or a toy" big time. Checking out one of their videos, you know right off they have a serious sense of humor and where I come from that spells tude...



I'm not sure about you, but that is just the kind of attitude I want in a rod that is going to be part of who I am and there is this big tarpon just up the reef...

Check out Red Truck Fly Fishing Rods I know I will be...

Comments